Labor Day is today and that means great weekend savings on everything from clothes to appliances! But another event in September offers plenty of money-saving potential beyond just the three-day weekend: National Coupon Month!
Created by the Promotion Marketing Association (PMA) to generate awareness about coupon savings, National Coupon Month celebrates the popular method of paying less for desired products. Coca-Cola is credited for the first-ever coupon back in 1887, when a hand-written voucher offered a free glass of the beloved beverage. Fast forward to the 21st century with the first-ever mobile coupon app created by Coupon Sherpa, allowing shoppers to access mobile coupons directly from their smartphones.
September is National Coupon Month ~ Celebrate and Save!
Still, smartphones aren't the only resource for everybody's favorite savings method. ILoveCouponMonth.com was created to help both couponing novices and seasoned savings veterans find unique ways to get discounts on any and every purchase. The site venerates National Coupon Month by offering 30 days of savings tips, plus a plethora of coupon statistics, including:
- Consumers saved an average of $4.6 billion with coupons in 2011, representing a 12.2 percent increase over 2010.
- Over 80 percent of consumers surveyed by Valassis reported regular coupon use in 2011.
- 305 billion coupons were distributed by marketers in 2011.
- 91 percent of surveyed respondents plan their shopping lists around available coupons before heading to the store.
- Over 50 percent of surveyed coupon users spend more than 15 minutes every week searching for coupons.
- An estimated 27 percent of coupons distributed in 2011 required users to make multiple purchases.
- The average expiration date for coupons in 2011 was 9.9 weeks from distribution.
For more surprising statistics and savings strategies, check out ILoveCouponMonth.com and start September on a frugal foot!
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!