Keeping a three-year-old entertained all day in a way that's both enjoyable for her and for me isn't always easy. That's why I love finding games of all kinds that we can play together, which also help her develop new skills.
Since Riley has mastered her alphabet and is beginning to learn letter sounds and phonics in order to start reading, I'm always on the lookout for fun and entertaining games to help her practice these basics. Educational Insights allowed me to review their newest word game for children: Grandma's Trunk Alphabet Game. Keep reading to learn more!
Grandma's Trunk Alphabet Game from Educational Insights contains 26 alphabet picture cards, 26 riddle cards and a nifty "trunk" for game play. This learning game was created by a preschool teacher and is designed for children ages 5 years old and up. Grandma's Trunk offers kids 5 different games to play with the cards included, all of which will help develop mastery of the alphabet.
- What Comes Next? - Take turns placing the letter cards in the trunk in alphabetical order.
- Memory Time - Take turns repeating the sequence of cards already in the trunk, then adding one of your own and challenging other players to remember them all, in order.
- Letter Sequence Memory - Deal the cards and take turns putting them in the trunk in alphabetical order, repeating the items already in the trunk and challenging other players to remember them all, in alphabetical order.
- Grandma's Riddles - Deal the cards, then read a riddle and race to see who has the letter card that answers it!
- Grandma's Adventures - Place the letter cards in the trunk and take turns pulling them out to tell a story. For instance, Once upon a time there was a Grandma. She saw an iguana. It said, "Do you like my necklace?"
I really liked the Grandma's Trunk Alphabet Game, though I have to say that the first three games are basically the same. So, in my opinion, there are 3 games you can play with this set of cards. The Grandma's Adventures game is an absolute riot and my favorite by far. It encourages the use of letter sounds as well as blows the roof off of creative storytelling. Riley created a few hilarious yarns while playing this game, which had both of us rolling with laughter!
If you have a toddler or preschooler who needs a little more practice with the fundamentals of the alphabet, then I highly recommend the Grandma's Trunk Alphabet Game from Educational Insights. The variety of card games included with this set will have your child mastering new skills in a fun, interactive way.
Disclosure: I received the Grandma's Trunk Alphabet Game from Educational Insights in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received. This product review is based on my own personal experiences with this item and is completely honest and objective.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!