During the dog days of summer, kids need a way to beat the heat and stay hydrated. There are plenty of ways to quench their thirst, but oftentimes kids tend to turn to sodas or sugar-filled ades and juices. That's when we, as parents, should step in and teach them a better way.
100% juices contain no added sugars, just the natural sugars present in whole fruit. These juices are naturally nutritious and some are even fortified with extra vitamin C, calcium and vitamin D. They're a perfect thirst quencher and can be used to bolster the nutritional value in a variety of recipes too. Of course, don't forget that these juices always make a mean popsicle! Keep reading to learn more and enter to win a huge 100% juice prize pack from the Juice Products Association!
Your family should turn to 100% juice this summer because it is considered a nutrient dense beverage, meaning that per calorie, it packs more nutritional value than other beverage options. While the calorie content can vary slightly from juice to juice, most 100% fruit juices have only 60-80 calories per 4-ounce portion.
100% juices also contain naturally-occurring phytonutrients - compounds found in the fruits, vegetables and other plants that researchers believe have disease-preventative and disease fighting properties. They are a key source of nutrients like folate, vitamin C and potassium too. In fact, the 2005 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee noted that levels of these essential nutrients are often higher in certain 100% fruit juices than in their whole fruit counterparts.
Clear gelatin and fruit juice squares are a favorite for little ones to eat with their hands and grab the fish in the middle. Older kids can participate by stirring the gelatin and adding the fish.
- 4 cups 100% apple juice (clear variety, not unfiltered) or 100% white grape juice
- 4 packets unflavored gelatin
- 6 Swedish Fish or Gummy Fish
- Pour 1 cup of the 100% juice into a medium metal mixing bowl. Sprinkle on the gelatin and set aside to soften. Bring the remaining 3 cups juice to a boil. Pour the hot juice slowly into the softened gelatin, stirring until it is completely dissolved, 1 minute.
- Refrigerate the gelatin until a thin film clings to the sides of the bowl when stirred, about 45 minutes.
- Rinse a glass baking dish (8x6x2 inch) with cold water and pour the thickened gelatin into it. If the gelatin has begun to set, spread it out as evenly as possible. One at a time, holding the fish upside down, push them into the gelatin so they look like they are swimming. Place them far enough apart to cut six blocks, each containing a fish. Refrigerate the gelatin until very firm, 3 to 4 hours.
- To unmold, hold the dish in a pan of hot water for 1 minute, or until the gelatin releases when you bounce the pan. Invert the pan over a plate so the gelatin drops onto it. With a sharp knife, cut the gelatin into 6 blocks, including one fish in each. The blocks are best served the day they are made as the fish start to get gooey after 12 hours.
90 calories, 0 g fat (0g saturated fat), 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 0 g dietary fiber, 10 mg sodium - Per Serving
Research shows that drinking 100% fruit juice is associated with a more nutritious diet overall. Studies suggest that appropriate consumption of 100% juice is linked to an overall healthier eating pattern, including reduced intake of dietary fat, saturated fat and added sugars. In addition, drinking 100% juice is associated with increased consumption of whole fruit and is not linked to decreased milk consumption in children.
So put down that sugary soda and pick up a glass of delicious 100% fruit juice this summer. Your body and your taste buds will thank you for it!
Disclosure: I received the 100% Juice 100% Summer Fun prize pack shown above from the Juice Products Association in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received. This product review is based on my own personal experiences with this item and is completely honest and objective.
(Open to all U.S. readers)
One lucky reader will win a 100% Juice 100% Summer Fun Prize Pack from the Juice Products Association! (ARV $60)
This prize pack includes the following:
- Extra Large Striped Beach Bag
- Simply Orange Soft Cooler
- 100% Juice 100% Summer Fun Apron
- Selection of juices from Mott's, Veryfine, Welch's, Juicy Juice and Treetop
Click here for detailed instructions on how to enter a blog giveaway with Rafflecopter or watch a video tutorial on how to use Rafflecopter.
|a Rafflecopter giveaway|
I check EVERY entry! Please only leave valid comments for valid entries!
This giveaway is in no way facilitated, sponsored or administered by Facebook or Twitter.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!