This post brought to you by Sunkist Growers. All opinions are 100% mine.
Oranges are definitely one of my favorite fruits, which is good since they are packed with healthy vitamins and antioxidants. I thought I knew pretty much all there was to know about oranges, until I watched the Sunkist Valencia Oranges Re-greening Video.
In this video, Chef Robert Dahni explains how Sunkist Valencia oranges may occasionally "re-green" in warm weather. When Valencias ripen on the tree, they turn a bright orange color but warm temperatures may make their skin reabsorb chlorophyll as they hang on the tree causing the orange color to look partly green—although the outside is green, the inside remains ripe and delicious!
So now that you are aware that with Valencia oranges, green is good, check out the following summertime recipe that will have your family's tastebuds jumping for joy!
• 3 Sunkist® Valencia oranges, segmented and zested
• 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 lb. tub Bocconcini mozarella
• ¼ cup Opal (purple) basil, shredded into small pieces
• 20 whole wheat crackers
• Salt to taste
• ¼ cup fresh rosemary
• ¼ cup fresh thyme
• 1/8 cup fresh oregano
• 1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. black pepper
Instructions: (Makes 10 servings)
• Cut the Bocconcini into halves.
• Zest the Valencia oranges using a micro plane or fine grater and set aside. To segment the oranges, cut off the top and bottom.
• Lay the orange on a flat surface, using a pairing knife remove the skin and white pith. Carefully cut and release each segment from between the membranes and set aside.
• In a blender, add the olive oil, orange zest and fresh herbs. Pulse until blended, continue to blend on medium speed until the herbs and zest are finely chopped, add the pepper and pulse quickly. Pour into a jar or plastic container. Leftover oil can be kept refrigerated for up to one month and used as a marinade for fish, poultry or vegetables.
• Toss the orange segments, cherry tomatoes, Bocconcini and basil lightly with ¾ cup of orange scented herb oil and season with salt.
• Top each cracker with the mixture and serve.
Like what you see here? Then check out additional Sunkist citrus recipes for even more yummy options!
Celebrate this summer with Sunkist Valencia Oranges...your body will thank you!
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!