Now that summer is right around the corner, I'm sure everyone is ready to head to the pool or beach and start having some fun! But fun in the sun, can most definitely be overdone! Keep reading to learn more about how to avoid dehydration, sunburn, heat exhaustion or worse, as well as some summer health tips to keep you safe and feeling good while enjoying this warm weather.
1. Drink plenty of water. When heat and humidity are high, you can quickly become dehydrated. Your body’s thirst mechanism isn’t very accurate and becomes more unreliable with age. By the time most of us feel thirsty, we’re already slightly dehydrated. It's especially important during warm weather to drink 8 glasses of water a day.
2. Beat the heat. As temperatures rise, your body works overtime to stay cool. Any outdoor activity in high heat is physically stressful and can lead to heat exhaustion or even heat stroke. Wear light, loose fitting clothing and don't overdo it.
3. Balance activity with rest. Sunshine and warm weather offer a whole smorgasbord of activities. But don't push yourself beyond your physical limits or let overexertion squash your energy. Schedule time to rest, relax and take a nap when necessary.
4. Protect your eyes and skin. Wear sunglasses and sunscreen to protect your eyes and skin from the sun's dangerous UV rays. Sunburn abuse can lead to skin cancer, so wear protective clothing and sunscreen with at least a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15. For sunburn relief, aloe vera gel can help ease the pain.
5. Don't sweat it. One byproduct of heat is sweat. Even walking to your car in extreme heat can cause those little salty beads to pop out under your arms and on your face. Since sweating causes you to lose precious minerals, keep your electrolytes in balance by getting plenty of minerals from fresh fruit, vegetables and health supplements.
6. Overcome grill overkill. Nothing says, "fire up the grill" quite like warm weather. However, the chemistry of carcinogens produced by grilling can increase cancer risks. Studies suggest that following grilled meat with antioxidants such as vitamins C, E and carotenoids may offer protection against harmful grilling carcinogens.
7. Eat smart and healthy. Vacations and summer picnics can be a huge temptation to pig out. Don't fall for it, since too much junk food could destroy your summer fun. Keep your energy up by limiting sweets and fatty foods and focusing on fresh summer fruits and vegetables, whole grains and healthy lean protein. This is where Weight Watchers Smart Balance entrées can come to your rescue. They offer a host of options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even dessert, which taste great but not at the expense of your body's health.
Weight Watchers Smart Ones is making it easier to stay on track with a healthy meal plan without spending time on prep work beforehand. Their products provide a variety of delicious, convenient and portion controlled meals and snacks that contain lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
And now they are offering two new breakfast items – like the new Egg, Sausage & Cheese Wrap and the French Toast with Turkey Sausage. Plus, the packaging tells you the Weight Watchers PointsPlus values in each serving, allowing you to conveniently plan for the day. Visit www.eatyourbest.com for more information.
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Weight Watchers Smart Ones and received a promotional item and coupons to facilitate my review.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!