What's the best time for children to learn the love of reading? Better World Books agrees with me -- the sooner the better. That's why I wanted to spread the word about Children's Book Week, the national celebration of reading for youth that is celebrated from May 7th through May 13th.
The observance (administered by Every Child A Reader and sponsored by the Children’s Book Council) honors the life-changing potential of a book, especially during a young person's formative years.
Here are a few ways to celebrate for Children's Book Week (and all year long!):
- Buy a book from BetterWorldBooks.com. With every book purchased, they donate a book to someone who needs it. The vast majority of donations goes to Books for Africa and Feed the Children.
- Pick out one of your favorite books from childhood and introduce it to your kid at bedtime.
- Spend some time at your local library. Even a few minutes here and there in our busy schedule will help instill a lifelong love of books.
- Pen your own children's book to read to your kids. Have them also write their own to read to you, too!
- Pick out 5 books, either from your own collection or from a book store, to donate to literacy campaigns throughout the world. (Better World Books is a great example of one such outlet)
Better World Books is also reducing the price on a huge selection of used children's books. Shop their Children's Book Week sale selection and get 3 used books for $9, and any additional used books for $3 each.
Children's Book Week kicks off Monday, and ends on May 13th. So let's get reading!
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!