Eating healthy is something that all families strive for, but sometimes choosing healthy items can be tough, especially with the hectic back-to-school schedule. Having healthy snacks on hand can be an important step in keeping kids’ nutrition on track throughout the day.
Yesterday, I told you all about PBS KIDS and Whole Foods Markets launching the "Fantastic Organic" campaign aimed at providing educational tools and resources to help families learn to cook, shop and explore healthy foods together. Keep reading for some tips from PBS KIDS on choosing healthy snacks for kids as well as some healthy snack ideas just for you!
Choosing and Buying Healthy Snacks:
- Stock the fridge and pantry with healthy snacks, such as fruits and vegetables and ingredients for the recipes below.
- Before you go shopping, tell your children what behavior you expect and what, if any, snack they can expect.
- Take snacks with you when you go to appointments or run errands.
- Provide snacks that are easy to eat.
- Use snacks to provide the food groups your children are missing during meals.
- Make snacks small, then give seconds if the child asks for more.
- Decide what snacks you will allow, and when. Explain the rules to your child and stick to them.
Healthy Snack Ideas:
- Crunchy vegetable sticks (carrots, celery) with low-fat ranch dip (for older preschoolers)
- Nearly frozen applesauce
- Melon Melody: Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew with non-fat whipped cream
- Ants on a Log: Peanut butter on celery with raisins
- Mud & Dirt: Low-fat pudding with crushed graham crackers mixed in
- Peanut butter on half of a whole-wheat bagel
- Whole-wheat crackers or whole-wheat tortilla with salsa
- Hummus and pita wedges
- "Light" microwave popcorn with grated parmesan cheese (for children three years and older)
- Mini-pizzas: Half an English muffin covered with a tablespoon of tomato sauce, then topped with part-skim mozzarella cheese
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!