There are so many commonly used phrases for it: "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone", "the grass is always greener on the other side" and "one man's trash is another man's treasure". Of course, I'm talking about gratitude (or the lack thereof). As a busy mom, it is one of the issues I struggle with every day. Getting caught up in life's little obstacles and set-backs is easy, but keeping them in perspective and remembering the bigger picture is not.
That is why I do my best to show my gratitude everyday for the wonderful life I'm living. Now you may wonder how that can really be possible to do, but in practice, showing gratitude couldn't be simpler. There are big ways to show it as well as smaller ways, which are just as meaningful. For instance, being kind and compassionate to others you don't know as well as going out of your way to say a nice word or lend a helping hand, shows gratitude for your life and your place in this world. One of my daily goals is to leave this world a little better than it was yesterday and I do this by trying not to take people, other living things or our planet for granted. Here are some of my favorite ways to add balance and happiness to your own life through the expression of gratitude:
- Set aside at least 5 minutes per day to reflect on all of the truly joyous things in your life.
- When something bad happens, immediately stop and look on the bright side...find one positive thing that happened because of the bad event. (ex. unexpectedly stuck in traffic? now you have more time alone to relax and enjoy your favorite CD)
- lend a helping hand to those in need (ex. bigger tip to that kind waitress, compliment an annoyed stranger, hold a door open for others, be extra nice to retail workers, offer to carry groceries for the elderly, etc.)
- pick flowers and give them to your husband or children
- write sweet notes of encouragement or sentiment to your family members
- give freely of your time and money to those in need (pay it forward at the coffee house, toll booth, grocery store or restaurant)
- volunteer regularly in any way, shape or form possible
By adding joy to the lives of others, you'll be amazed at how much purpose, fulfillment and joy will be added to your own. Expressing gratitude for your own blessings will ultimately yield even more blessings to be grateful for! Pretty cool, huh?
I'm curious to know:In your busy everyday life, how do you strive for balance through gratitude? By replying you will be entered to win one of two prizes! First Prize: $150 to a Local Spa, plus $50 Gift Certificate to the Cerra Boutique.Second Prize: One of Five $100 Gift Certificate to the Cerra Boutique.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Cerra. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Contest Rules.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!