With celebrity moms including Lauren Graham, Courtney Cox, Mary Louise Parker, Julianne Moore and Kate Hudson turning to fitness expert Michelle Lovitt to keep their bodies strong and healthy, I thought you might be interested in these tips from Michelle Lovitt on how to say goodbye to the baby weight for good.
1. Invest in a Heart Rate Monitor Would you drive your car with a blindfold to an unknown destination? Then why exercise and not know how many calories you’re burning and where those calories are coming from? You can determine your maximum heart rate with this simple equation: 220 – your age = your max heart rate. Monitoring your heart rate is key to exercising at the right intensity (target heart rate zone) to meet your fitness goals.
2. Exercise at the Right Intensity You should exercise at 60-85 percent of your maximum heart rate to lose those few extra pounds of body fat. In fact, studies show that people who exercise at too high of an intensity (above 85 percent), especially in the initial stages of a workout program, drop out sooner, have more injuries and tend to develop a negative impression toward exercise in general. Aim for 20-60 minutes of continuous exercise incorporating intervals in your target zone each session. If you are unable to exercise for 20 minutes initially, slow down and gradually build up to this.
3. Stay Hydrated If you are exercising to burn fat, be sure to consume at least 64 ounces of water per day, plus an additional 16 ounces for every hour of moderate-intensity activity. Fat is excreted primarily through urine, sweat and carbon dioxide when released in the air from your lungs. If dehydrated, the body isn’t efficient at expelling fat. For an added bonus, try a nutrient-rich beverage such as ACTIVATE, which features a unique twist cap that stores a fresh dose of vitamins separate from water (delivered in a 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottle), allowing them to stay fresh and offering a convenient way to get the nourishment your body needs. Not only is ACTIVATE free of sugar, calories and preservatives, it’s naturally sweetened with Stevia and delivers the same great taste of other sugar-laden vitamin waters without all of the calories.
4. Get Adequate Protein Eat at least 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight when trying to lose body fat. This will ensure you maintain your muscle, which will keep your metabolism burning more calories, helping to rid the extra post-natal pounds at a more rapid rate.
5. Eat Breakfast Every Day Eat breakfast every day. People who eat breakfast consume fewer total calories during the day then those who don't.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!