It's something we all take for granted and typically abuse, but once it's gone or in jeopardy, we truly understand just how precious it is... GIVE UP? Although several things could probably fall in this category, what I'm talking about today is your health.
Our health is one of the single most valuable assets we possess, but yet we generally compromise ourselves at every turn. Not eating right, getting enough exercise or sleep, not taking our vitamins, not drinking enough water, etc. are all ways we break down our own vitality.
Health care costs always seem to be on the rise which causes most Americans to forgo the proper care they deserve. Don't put your jeopardy due to these expenses. Follow these health care tips from Cigna instead.
Follow These Health Care Tips for a Long, Happy Life:
Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open. ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
We’re often great at budgeting household expenses like our mortgage, groceries or vacations, but many of us don’t think about budgeting for healthcare expenses. The more you can anticipate upcoming costs, the more you can save while still receiving the high quality care you expect for you and your family.
- Spend one night reviewing your healthcare expenses. Know what you have spent to-date and think about what your future costs may be. For example, will anyone need glasses or braces next year? Knowing what your current spending habits are and what your future costs may be, can help you budget accordingly.
There are a few things that you can do now to ensure you’re prepared to make quick decisions when the time is appropriate.
- Know where the nearest urgent care facility is. These facilities provide the same quality of care for non-emergent conditions as an ER, but have shorter wait times and are typically less expensive.
- Check your health plan to see if they offer a 24/7 nurse hotline to provide you with health-related advice around the clock.
- Keep the phone number handy for your local pharmacy. Prescriptions can be called in quickly, right from the doctor’s office, saving time.
Taking advantage of preventative services offered by your health plan could mean the difference between life and early death.
- Visit your doctor each year for a checkup – make the appointment on a memorable day so you remember each year to go! Also, take advantage of the free services offered, such as access to dieticians and nurses, who can answer questions and provide advice.
Personally, my husband and I always make sure to plan carefully so as to max out the benefits we can receive through our Flexible Spending Account. Not having to pay taxes on your healthcare expenses can definitely be a major budget saver. Just be sure to use it all up by the end of the year so that you don't lose the money in this account.
Be sure to visit and subscribe to the Cigna YouTube channel for more information and health care tips to keep your family healthy and happy!
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Cigna. I received a promotional item as a thank-you for participating.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!