I consider myself a pretty lucky gal when it comes to starting my mornings. Since I'm a stay-at-home mom, I don't have to stick to a rigid schedule, which means that Riley and I can lounge around for a while before beginning our day. My husband has already left for work by the time that my daughter and I wake up on the weekdays.
This means that Riley and I get to snuggle in her bed while she drinks her morning cup of milk and I read her a few stories. Sometimes we play with her stuffed animals and sing songs too if she's so inclined. I love waking up in this manner for I always seem to have a smile plastered on my face for the rest of the morning.
It's so heartwarming and special to start each day with such a strong focus on your family. These leisurely morning bonding moments together will probably be the thing I miss the most once Riley starts school.
Mornings are one of the busiest times for families, but a happy, healthy start can set the tone for the day ahead. Parenting expert and author of The Big Book of Parenting Solutions, Dr. Michele Borba and nutritionist and author of Expect the Best, Your Guide to Healthy Eating Before, During & After Pregnancy, Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D. have partnered with the Florida Department of Citrus to offer simple solutions to help families start the day on the right foot.
Information about 100% Orange Juice:
- Drinking a refreshing glass of naturally, nutrient-rich 100% orange juice together each morning as part of a healthy breakfast, is one way for you and your family to connect and help you prepare for a great day, every day.
- One 8-ounce glass of 100% Florida orange juice counts as almost 25 percent of your USDA-recommended daily fruit and vegetable servings, based on a 2,000-calorie diet.
- Compared to many other beverages, 100% orange juice is a clear nutritional standout. In fact, orange juice is more nutrient dense, or nutrient rich, than many commonly consumed 100 percent fruit juices, such as apple, grape, pineapple and prune.
Nutrition Tips from Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D.:
- Eating a nutritious breakfast can greatly impact your day and has even been associated with weight loss and weight maintenance, as well as improved nutrient intake. Breakfast eaters tend to have more energy throughout the day and, because they are not as likely to be hungry, they often have an easier time managing their weight than those who skip breakfast. So sit down with your family around the breakfast table or grab something on the go – you’ll help each person get a good start to the day.
- Look for juices that specifically say “100% Juice” on the information panel and avoid beverages with names such as “cocktail,” “beverage,” “drink” or “-ade.” Such juice concoctions often have added sugars and typically do not provide the natural variety and amount of nutrients found in 100 percent fruit juices such as 100 percent orange juice.
Parenting Tips from Dr. Michele Borba:
- A simple way to connect is by designating time in your family’s normal morning routine as “unplugged time” – without turning on the television, computer or video games. Start with just 10 minutes and gradually work your way up to more unplugged mornings.
- Instead of rushing out the door, talk to your kids as you pour a glass of nutrient-rich 100 percent orange juice together while you pack a healthy breakfast to go.
* Want more? Visit the Florida Orange Juice Facebook Page to download a free “Meaningful Morning Checklist” with tips for making the most of your family’s morning.
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of the Florida Department of Citrus and received an OJ Gift Pack and a promotional item as a thank you for my participation.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!