Since Independence Day falls on a Wednesday this year, my family decided to celebrate a little early. Of course, a 4th of July celebration just wouldn't be the same without firing up the 'ol grill, which definitely means that pork ribs will be on the menu!
McCormick Spices, Kraft Foods, Tyson Fresh Meats and the National Pork Board have banded together to help celebrate those "rulers of the rib" with the Dibs on My Ribs! Pork Recipe Cookoff Contest. Keep reading to learn more!
My husband is quite the grillmaster in our home and has an amazingly delicious recipe for pork ribs. He calls it "Rainbow Ribs" and it never fails to satisfy because there's always something for everyone. I've included it below and if you get the chance, give it a try...your mouth will thank you!
If you have a tantalizing, original rib recipe too, then be sure to stop by the Dibs on My Ribs! Pork Recipe Cookoff and throw your name in the hat for one of two grand prizes. There are two rib recipe categories (indoor and outdoor) and a grand prize winner will be selected from each.
What's up for grabs? How about $6,000 in Walmart gift cards and a trip for 2 to Memphis, TN to attend the Memphis in May BBQ Event. Don't worry, professional chefs are not eligible to win, so this is definitely a contest geared for all of those backyard grillmasters. Make sure to get those creative cooking juices flowing soon, because this contest ends on August 12, 2012.
As with any contest, there are several important rules that must be followed. Here's a brief overview of the ones I thought were especially important, but make sure to check out the official rules page for all of the nitty gritty:
- All recipes must incorporate a minimum of three ingredients, including at least one 5-rib portion of pork spareribs, at least one McCormick spice or seasoning product and at least one Kraft Foods BBQ Sauce (unless you are submitting a rub BBQ, in which case you are not required to use a BBQ sauce.)
- The recipe must be an original work created by the entrant and cannot have previously won a contest or other promotion, or have been submitted as an entry in any contest that required the entrant to assign rights to the recipe to the co-sponsors of the contest.
If you don't want to enter the Dibs on My Ribs! Pork Recipe contest, that's okay, but please be sure to stop by and vote for your favorite. There are plenty of great recipes already submitted, so if you're looking for a tried-and-true original pork ribs recipe, this is a terrific resource to check out.
Now, get ready for yum with the "Rainbow Ribs" recipe!
- 4 lbs. Tyson pork spare ribs
- 4 tbsp. McCormick's Grill Mates Sweet & Smoky Rub
- Light sprinkling of McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Kraft Foods Thick 'n Spicy Original Barbecue Sauce
- American cheese slices
- Bacon slices
- Ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Lime juice (to taste)
- Keep ribs together as one slab and apply 4 tbsp. McCormick's Grill Mates Sweet & Smoky Rub to entire slab.
- Lightly sprinkle the slab with McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Cook on grill with low indirect heat for approximately 2 hours or until rib meat reaches an inner temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the rib slab evenly into 5 sections of the "rainbow" and apply the following toppings (in this order):
- 1st section - Coat top of ribs in ranch dressing of your choice
- 2nd section - Coat top of ribs with small strips of American cheese and wait for cheese to melt
- 3rd section - Coat top of ribs with an avocado paste made from mashed avocado, salt, pepper and lime juice (to taste)
- 4th section - Coat top of ribs with bacon slices
- 5th section - Coat top of ribs with Kraft Foods Thick 'n Spicy Original Barbecue Sauce
Disclosure: I received a Dibs on My Ribs prize pack from One2One Network to thank me for my participation. No other compensation was received. This post is based on my own personal experiences with this item and is completely honest and objective.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!