It's that time of year again, when we make promises to ourselves that we will diet, exercise, and become more organized! Why not take it a step further and make a promise to yourself that you will make more of an effort to become "skin healthy"? After all, the skin on your face is your best accessory, not to mention the skin on your body is what holds it all together!
1. Make an appointment to see your dermatologist for a full body skin check, once a year (if there is no history of skin cancer). It can save your life! If you have melanoma, which is the most dangerous form of skin cancer, you should see your dermatologist every 3 months, the first year and following years, every 6 months for life.
2. Make an effort to see your esthetician on a monthly or bi-monthly basis and get a microdermabrasion or chemical peel to rid your face of dead skin cells and bring on a new, fresh, glowing looking face, regularly. If you cannot see your esthetician, try a home-made scrub with Honey and Sugar. The Honey smoothes the skin and has antibacterial properties and the sugar exfoliates. Follow-up with an egg white to tighten your skin.
3. Invest in good skincare products that contain essential vitamins and anti-oxidants that can help reduce the negative effects of free radicals, stress and other elements that can impede healthy skin.
- First start off with a gentle cleanser for most days and an exfoliating cleanser for a couple of days in between to help get rid of dead skin cells (this will hold you over until you can make it to the medi-spa for your facial!)
- Then Dr. Peredo recommends a good anti-aging serum that contains vitamins and antioxidants to help with cellular turnover and of course, a daily moisturizer that contains a sunscreen.
- Sunscreen is needed every day, not only at the beach or vacations. That is why it is important to find a sunscreen that provides protection as well as hydration.
- Throw away outdated skincare products. Make-up that hasn't been used in a while and outdated skincare products may be hosting bacteria and can cause breakouts. Open the medicine cabinet and empty your make-up bag. If you haven't touched that skincare product or piece of make-up in a few months it's time to say goodbye. Your skin will thank you later.
- Sleep without makeup. Not removing your makeup is one of the worst don'ts when it comes to your skincare routine. Makeup clogs pores and can leave your complexion looking dull. Wash, tone, and moisturize your skin every night before bed this year.
4. Dr. Peredo's newest discovery is Macha Tea, a type of Green Tea that has antioxidants that help fight off free radicals. Not only do the free radicals break down collagen that cause wrinkles and sagging skin, Macha can also help to suppress your appetite and give you more energy…helping achieve your weight-loss resolution!
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!