January 2nd is National Pet Travel Safety Day, and there’s no better time to educate pet parents on how to keep their four-legged companions safe while hitting the road or flying the skies. Celebrity pet expert Harrison Forbes shares the following tips to ensure Fido and/or Fluffy make it to their destination comfortably and safely.
Pet Travel Safety Tips
- The trick to a successful car ride for your pet is positive association. With your pet safely buckled up, take many short, treat-filled trips around the block. If a car ride equals fun and treats, your pet will always be up for a good road trip.
- For extra added security while on the road, a pet GPS collar is a great option. There are several on the market, including Tagg – The Pet Tracker, a lightweight and durable device that uses advanced GPS technology to help you locate your pet if he gets lost.
- Keep Fido's head in the car. Eye injuries, ear and lung infections are just some of the dangers of a face in the wind.
- Pet travel rules and regulations vary with airlines, so always check in advance to get their specific requirements.
- Pack a bag specifically for your pet that includes food and water, portable bowls, an extra leash, waste bags, cleaning supplies, a bed or towel, any medications, toys, and a pet first aid kit.
- Feed your pet a couple of hours prior to departure rather than right before. This can prevent them from getting sick while traveling.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!