Being an only child, naturally my parents were over the moon when Riley, their only grandchild, was born. They both light up like a 100W bulb anytime she comes around and see only the perfection in her actions, no matter the reality.
This special bond between grandchild and grandparent should be celebrated with plenty of traditions and events that are all their own. Of course, because my parents are new grandparents, just as my husband and I are new parents, sometimes we're left floundering with plenty of good intentions and yet nothing to do.
That's why I was happy to learn of Abigail Gehring's newest book, "The Simple Joys of Grandparenting." This compilation of everything from crafts, stories, recipes and educational projects will serve as a source of inspiration for celebrating those special times together for years to come. Keep reading to learn more!
Beautifully illustrated and chock full of everything you need to be a great grandparent, this is the perfect gift for new grandpas and grandmas. In these pages you'll find classic stories and poems from Rudyard Kipling and Lewis Carroll, as well as the most important recipes (perfect chocolate chip cookies, amazing mac 'n cheese, and the world’s cutest cupcakes), crafts that will entertain boys and girls on a rainy day, and words of wisdom from grandparents through the centuries.
With illustrations from artists including Kate Greenaway and Beatrix Potter, this is a keepsake book that will be a boon to any grandparent. Here's some of what awaits inside "The Simple Joys of Grandparenting" by Abigail Gehring:
- Classic children's stories with delightful illustrations, including "Peter Rabbit," "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," and "The Ugly Duckling"
- Fun and easy crafts, such as sock puppets, pine cone birds, homemade finger paints, potato prints, and edible play dough
- Old-fashioned games and activities, including bobbing for apples, hosting a tea party, and building an indoor fort
- Educational projects that teach concepts such as photosynthesis, how soap works and story development
- Delicious, kid-friendly recipes such as chocolate-peppermint spoons, mini pizzas and homemade marshmallows
- Fun ways for kids to learn about family history, including a family tree and a family "treasure map"
- A special place to record birthdays, memories, important information about your grandkids, and the delightful things the little ones say
"The Simply Joys of Grandparenting" is a delightful book with a ton of great ideas to make grandparent/grandchild time memorable. This makes a perfect gift that will be enjoyed by everyone involved for years to come.
Disclosure: I received the book, "The Simple Joys of Grandparenting" by Abigail Gehring in order to facilitate my review. No other compensation was received. This product review is based on my own personal experiences with this item and is completely honest and objective.
I'm a former 7th grade Science teacher turned stay-at-home mom that lives in Houston, Texas. I am married to my college sweetheart and have a beautiful daughter named Riley, who definitely keeps me on my toes! I am also involved in starting a small business which would both manufacture and sell an invention that I've patented, called Toothpaste 2 Go. I love interacting with my readers and hope to learn as much about you as you learn about me!